Because I’m a committed member of the January Jeans 2013 Club I decided I need some kind of strategy to avoid holiday weight gain.
For the most part, I don’t think Christmas eating is a big problem to me. I usually overeat during the Christmas vacation and gain some weight, but I get rid of the extra weight pretty fast after I’m back to my usual daily routine. On the other hand I’ve had enough of the annual eating fest that makes me feel like a stuffed turkey, not to mention the constipation and flatulence that go hand in hand with overeating…
I would also like to learn to enjoy holiday eating in moderation, if such a thing is even possible. J Christmas vacation will be a perfect time to practice moderation.
My 5 Rules To Avoid the Holiday Weight Gain
- I follow my normal diet before the holidays – I don’t save calories in order to be able to eat more during the Christmas dinner – because starving myself before the holidays is not going to help me eat moderately
- During the holidays, I eat regular meals 4-5 time a day
- I don’t take second helpings, unless I really am hungry
- I eat at the table or sitting on the sofa – I’m not allowed to munch chocolate when I read in bed!*
- I choose foods based on my preferences, I don’t eat out of courtesy or because the food is there.
Fortunately, I don’t belong to a family of food pushers, so I can probably eat pretty much the way I want without anyone thinking other than “there’s that crazy aunt again”. I intend to skip the Christmas casseroles and concentrate on chocolate and Hanna’s delicacies instead. :-)
*Guess what I LOVE to do?
I’ve actually used this strategy successfully earlier this fall.
When I visited home for my grandmother’s funeral, I followed this plan. I didn’t count calories, and I even ate 2 pieces of cake plus quite a many sweets and I still ended weighing 200 grams (0.44 lb) less on that week’s weigh in.
Christmas vacation lasts longer than one weekend, but I think that if I manage to stick to my rules of thumb I can maintain my weight and easily fit into my jeans in January 2013.
There is also another tradition I’d like to break. For some reason or another we (my family) have a tradition of not doing any exercise during the holidays (I don’t count hopping in the car to ride somewhere as exercise). Taking a walk even once during the vacation would be enough to break that tradition.
It might help with the constipation too.. :-)
Do you have a plan in place to avoid holiday weight gain?